Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Science of Balance: Section Gamma

Today I want to talk a bit about this current semester.  It is already 3 weeks old and I believe I am just about settled in to the routine of my new schedule.  I have one thing to day about that new schedule: It sucks.  I do everything that a regular graduate student does on a weekly basis (minus research...mostly) in the first 3 days of each week.  I teach one section each day, I have all 3 sections of my 2 classes in those 3 days, and I have all my weekly meetings packed in there as well.

This compaction of activities means that I am constantly running around, both on and off campus, from about 7 am to 11 pm Monday through Wednesday.  The only upside to this at all is that I get both Thursday and Friday completely to myself.  I typically use those days to catch up on everything else (grading, research, homework, emails, etc.), but as these weeks have started to accumulate I am finding it harder to be motivated given the opportunity to just sit back and relax for a bit.

This is 100% me complaining, but hey, you asked for it by coming here... I made the comment several times on Tuesday that I was feeling much better about my week since Monday didn't exist this week.  Now I am trying to devise a way to make Monday not exist every week.  I will keep you posted on how that goes...

1 comment:

  1. Bwahaha! I feel your pain. I'm usually up until the wee hours these days finishing "just one thing" before I rest. For instance, I had planned on 1) not working at all tonight, which became 2) just cleaning the cat boxes and 3) posting really quick on my blog. I am "happy" to say that the dishwasher has been emptied and reloaded, the cat boxes are cleaned, my laundry is folded or hung up, I posted, commented on a few blogs, and finally got into relaxed clothes. The only thing stopping me from vacuuming is that its nearly 11:00. Any second now, I'll start watching TV. Really.

    ReplyDelete