Monday, September 5, 2011

The Science of Balance: Part B

Today's edition in my multi-part series is about balancing fun with a graduate degree.  After recently going through the penultimate part of getting a Master's degree I believe I can finally sum it all up.  There were many points during my last degree where I slacked off a bit.  Figuring out exactly how to do a degree that is completely self-driven was pretty difficult at points.  But, that is really why I decided to get a Master's degree in the first place.  I have known for a long time that I want to go all the way for a PhD, but I also knew that I didn't want to go into that big of a commitment cold.  So, the plan was to get a Master's simply to figure out how grad school works.

Now that I have a 2nd degree under my belt I "know the ropes" and still want to keep going.  I figured out during undergrad just how important taking regular breaks is.  I believe that my learning how to balance school and fun is what has kept me from getting burned out up to now.  I think I may have let me "breaks" get a bit out of control during the Master's but I do have a much better appreciation for how to weave work and break time into one free-flowing thing.  I have already started to practice these findings this semester. 

I am pleased to report that the system is working, to now.  But I do think I will need a but more schedule structure throughout this degree...just to make sure I don't have a year-long repeat of this last summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment