Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Science of Balance: Act 1

I had a fantastic talk with a friend last night.  My buddy Matt was in town for a fantasy football draft (which we were actually doing online) and ended up coming over to use my internet (luckily he brought his laptop).  Now, I have been doing fantasy drafts for about 6 years, ever since a couple fraternity brothers decided to run one during undergrad.  Those first few drafts (when everyone in our annual league was actually in the same state/town/building) were the most fun, because everyone was together and we could all yell at/slap/smack talk everyone else.  So, when one of my favorite people asked if he could hang out and draft with me in my living room, there was no question.

It was a lot of fun getting to talk football and make fun of everyone else and their terrible picks with Matt for a few hours.  Fortunately, Matt was in no rush to leave after the draft and we simply started chatting about life afterward.  He and I hadn't seen one another in a couple months and it was really nice to get to catch up with him.  We had both been pretty busy of late and, since his busy time usually kept him out of town, he couldn't come to our weekly card game. 

We also talked about that card game, and how that was how we had met, and how we met a few of our other close friends here in town.  Today I am still a bit baffled by the fact that something as simple as a weekly card tournament could have gotten me to where I currently am in life.  Before I started playing that game I was miserable out here in Oklahoma.  I only had a couple of friends, was coming out of soul-crushing relationship, and wasn't even sure if I had the chops to finish my degree.  After just a couple of weeks of showing up the "cool kids" started bringing me into their conversations and even going out for drinks after the games were over.

I am happy to say that those first few interactions have led to so much more.  I now have some of the best friends I have had in my life right here in and around town.  I have developed an enjoyable life here in Norman.  And I got my act together and finished my degree.  Life is going pretty well, even with some recent bumps, and I am in a good place.  My new friends out here have helped me through so much, even if they don't know it, and I can only hope that I will be able to help them just as much or more in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment