Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Grind

Five weekends worth of travel.  Four of those have been out of state.  Two trips to Kansas City, 1 trip to Dallas, and 1 trip to San Antonio.  All of this grinding has been in pursuit of a larger goal; to play the game at a higher level.  Along the way my skills have increased as well and that increase is finally starting to show.

Unfortunately the grind is starting to get to me.  There is a break coming up for Thanksgiving and one more weekend trip to make.  I am not sure that I can make it 6 weeks in a row.  I have had decent success during this run, but the traveling is wearing on me.

These trips typically yield little sleep and require 1 or 2 full days of intense mental activity.  Needless to say it is easy to get burned out on this type of schedule.  The trips have been a lot of fun so far, but I am afraid I have reached my limit.  I am thankful for the break I am about to get.

Not only will I get a rest from competitive play, but I get to see my family as well.  I am very excited to go home for the first time in 9 months.  I will be able to get away from my school, teaching, and gaming schedules for 2 weeks.  This will be the perfect time for me to get away and recharge for the end of the semester.

I have been using these weekend trips to relax after my hellish weeks of teaching and learning.  Those trips have lost their luster as of this weekend.  I cannot wait to step away from all of it and come back afterward with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment