Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ingesting science

I went to Cajun King Buffet with a friend this afternoon (more on the venue later).  At this fine establishment they had frog legs, which I had never had the opportunity to eat before.  The frog legs themselves were ok...not great, but not terrible.  Frog meat seems a bit odd, chewy and tasting like bland chicken.  The big story here is that I had never eaten something that I have dissected in a lab before.

It was a strange feeling.  When I looked at the legs I noticed the same muscle definition that I had seen in high school.  I remembered having to cut the skin before peeling it off the leg to identify the underlying muscles.  The only difference between the frog legs I had seen before was that the ones today were beaded and deep fried.  Thinking of all this did not stop me from enjoying my meal in any way (which made me feel like a good scientist for some reason).  I did, however, strip the legs and throw the meat into my gumbo, which increased their flavor all around.

Back to the topic of Cajun King.  This restaurant is amazing!  I am a big fan of Cajun food, which makes it a pretty obvious choice for me.  If you have never had correctly prepared Cajun, or if you love the style like me, then I cannot recommend Cajun King highly enough.  The staff is friendly (including a head chef who patrols the place to make sure you are having a good meal), the food quality is high, and it is right here in Norman (over by the Home Depot on Ed Noble Parkway)!

I promise they didn't pay me for that endorsement...

No comments:

Post a Comment