Thursday, October 20, 2011

The best week of teaching

This week in Intro Zoo our lab was about Mollusks and Evolution.  We used mollusks as an example of adaptive radiation.  Usually these lectures are pretty boring, especially since I did not write the lectures.  It isn't that the lectures are poorly written, but writing lectures for multiple teachers isn't really a "one size fits all" thing.  I will often find myself jumping ahead or skipping slides to come back to them later.  This reordering sometimes presents the ideas with a better flow.

There wasn't much reorganizing this week, as the main topic of lecture was natural selection.  I believe I lectured for an average of 30 minutes too long in each of my sections.  This is one of the few lectures that directly pertains to my interests as a scientist.  The best part is that MOST of my students weren't asleep at the end!  Not only were the students interested, but I didn't hate the world at the end of my 3rd section this week (which is a first). 

I could hold out hope that this will become a trend, but I don't think I should.  I'm sure there will be other weeks which are nearly as interesting, but not many.  Ecology is where I hang my hat, and for 3 hours this week I got to talk about niches, what they are, and how they fit into the grand scheme of evolution.  Natural selection and its driving mechanisms are so elegant and simple.  I want to teach at the end of all this education and there is one reason for that; I enjoy helping others understand ideas and concepts that I find interesting.


"In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed. "
Charles Darwin

No comments:

Post a Comment